Monday, November 20, 2017

The meeting was called to order by President Eileen Van Dyk.  Secretary report read.  Approved by Cindy Peer and seconded by Linda Justmann.  The Treasurer’s report was read.  Approved by Patsy Larson and seconded by Kelly S.  We had a guest this evening named Chris Fohrenkamm and she decided to join our guild and along with Tracy Vail. 

Committee Reports
Budget – Bridget will be working on this.  The categories will be simplified to 4 categories including: Education, Fund Raising, Community Service, and Misc. There was money left over in the Education budget from last year of approximately $267.00. 
Caring Quilts – 1 large big purple quilt and 1 small one quilt were tied by 4 ladies tonight before the guild meeting.   Still more to be done.  There are also 56 packets of purple fabric for blocks to be made.  Please take a packet or a few and sign out on the list after the meeting.
Quilt Show -  Patsy working on it.  Still looking for a jump drive or disc.  This was located in the back room after the meeting.  JoDee called Patsy with that information.  Only 2 ribbons will be issue this year at the show.  JoDee volunteered to do the Vendor letters. Sandy provided the sample letters and Vendor list from previous years. 
Program Committee -  was held after the meeting this evening.  Many great ideas were shared.  Multiple members will be making contact to possible speakers for the upcoming year.  The goal is to have a printed program for the first of the year. 
Treasurer’s Report – Starting Balance:  $5,676.13.  Outgoing: Hope Dietrich $25.00 for paint chip challenge – JoDee Johnston $5.26 prize for farm girl vintage ( open) Incoming: $270.00 (18 members paid dues)   Ending Balance:  $5,915.87
Retreat Committee – Hope talked about the contract.  The new cost is $108.50 Friday noon through Sunday.  The extra day on Thursday is still in negotiations with Oak Forrest Center.  This will be announced at the December meeting.  Plan to pay for 2 nights for sure at December meeting.  Eileen to negotiate 2 meals a day instead of 3 to help with the extra expense.  Non-guild members are ok to invite if we are not full.  Minimum of 12 an Maximum of 24.  If you are attending the retreat, you will need to make your checks out to the Willow River Piecemakers this year instead of Oak Forest Center. 
Farm Girl Vintage – Pam’s group with the 48 blocks – 4 members completed their 4 blocks – drawing won by Cherri.  Bridgette’s group - Betty won the drawing.
Challenge – Paint Chip Challenge - 4 completed items were turned in – all very nicely done – The guild voted and the winner was Hope Dietrich.  Thank you to Barb Rogers and Hope for doing this challenge project.  They will be displayed at the Quilt Show in Sept.  If you were not able to complete your Challenge project you may still enter it in the show if you chose to. 
Old Business – Community Service Project for the month of December was discussed.  After discussion the decision was made to send 10 quilts to Puerto Rico to Grace Lutheran Church, a church that Eileen had emailed previously.  And it was decided we would give to T.H.U.G. in Somerset.  (Truly Humble Under God) which helps teenagers in need.  We will be giving a $100.00 gift certificate, $25.00 Grocery gift certificate, and a stocking with stocking stuffers – all for 1 teenager.  If you choose to donate to the stocking stuffers, it was suggested to bring chap sticks, Subway Gift Cards, gas cards, and other appropriate stocking stuffers that a teenager could use and that would fit in a stocking.   
Pam Caduff brought quilt books and patterns to give away and share with everyone.  Cherri brought a wooden quilt frame to give away as well. 
We had Show and Tell and Hope did a wonderful program on embroidery with crayons and how much this has changed over the years.    She put together a handout if you were not able to be at the meeting. 
Laurie Croone one of newest members in the guild had knee surgery the week before.  I sent out a get-well card to her.
The meeting was adjourned by Kelly S. and seconded by Linda Justmann. 
Hostesses were Barb Rogers and Hope Dietrich
Next Month – December’s meeting is on December 14th, 2017 at 6:00 pm at St. Luke’s Lutheran Church.  It is a potluck event.  The discussion Topic is Quilting Memories.  There will be a Christmas block exchange if you are interested.  Bring a 12 ½ inch unfinished Christmas Block in a brown paper bag.  Also we will be playing the Dice game so please bring a couple of fat quarters to share for the game. 
Hostess for the December meeting is Bridget Larson.  All that should be needed is beverages as we will be having a potluck. 
Please remember your stocking stuffers for the December meeting as well. 
It has come to my attention that I will out of town for the December meeting so if someone could please take minutes for me and send them to me, I would really appreciate it. 
I wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving and a very Merry Christmas as well. 
JoDee Johnston

Willow River Piecemaker’s Secretary

Monday, November 6, 2017

November Meeting Reminder

Our next meeting is Thursday Nov. 9th, 2017.  It's a 6:30 pm at St. Luke's Lutheran Church in New Richmond.  Membership dues are also due if you have not paid for them already.

It has been brought to my attention of a couple of corrections for our meeting minute that were previously sent out. 

Hope Dietrich was elected as the Vice President.

Sandy Balcerak has volunteered to take care of the Raffle license and tickets but she did NOT volunteer to take care of the vendors for the Quilt Show.  So we will still need someone to volunteer for contacting of the vendors, sending out the letters and being responsible for the vendors during the show.  Sandy, if you could please bring your vendor information to the meeting, I will take a look at it.  Thank you.

And Betty wanted everyone to know that we will be tying quilts on Thursday before the meeting starting at 2 pm.  There is 1 large quilt and 2 smalls quilts to tie.  Please try to attend if at all possible.  Thank you Betty for coordinating this effort. 

Hope to see you all at the November meeting.  Thank you.

JoDee Johnston
Willow River Piecemaker's Secretary

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

October Meeting Notes

The meeting was called to order by President Eileen Van Dyk.  The secretary’s report and Treasurer’s report were presented and accepted.
Committee Reports
Raffle Quilt - is at Jean Potter’s waiting to be quilted.   The dates for the Quilt Show will be September 22-September 23.  The dates had to be changed due to a conflict with WITC’s schedule.
The name for the show is “Good Times with Quilting”
Sandy will get copies of fliers, raffle tickets to the Quilt Committee.  She has also graciously volunteered to handle the vendors.
Caring Quilts – Two big quilts were tied and binding is needed on them.  With the demonstration on how to apply binding we all have updated skills.  Feel free to grab a quilt to bind.  There is a family, by Pine Lake, that has had a house fire.  We will be giving them a quilt.
The purple squares from Farm & Home were also worked on.  This quilt should be finished and ready to be tied in November.  Watch for an e-mail with a date.
Retreat Committee – Our retreat at Oak Forest will be January 12, 13, 14.  The cost is $102.  We may be able to add 1/11/18 if they do not receive a registration.  No lunch would be served on January 11th.  The additional day will cost $40.  We will know by the December meeting if this is possible.  They will determine where to place us by the number of quilters attending.
Challenge Committee – Reminder that the challenge is due next month….get working girls  J
The by-law changes were discussed with changes being that we elect 4 officers for a one-year term, the calendar year will be reflected by the regular calendar. Other smaller language items which were talked about at past meetings were also read.  The motion to accept these By-Law changes passed.
Officer Elections -   Eileen volunteered to continue as President, Jodee volunteered to continue one more year as Secretary and Bridget also will continue another term.  Barb Rogers was elected to President Elect (with help from Linda Andert) We appreciate all they have done and will continue to do. (Awesome!!)
We reviewed the survey we put together regarding things we would like to see the Quilt Guild do.  Some of things have been accomplished.  Other things still need to be worked on.  The opinion was that the Guild has turned around and is headed in the right direction.
Farm Girl projects - Judy, Patsy, Barb, Lori and Linda had completed their 4 blocks for the Farm Girl Quilt.  Linda won playing cards and thread for the drawing.  Patsy and Betty Schmidt completed their 4 blocks for the Miscellaneous Farm Girl project.  Betty won the drawing and received a pattern.
Demonstrations – Meg Tryba show how to apply a Faux Piping Binding.  She will be e-mailing instructions for review soon.
Jean Krumm showed us how she machine stiches her binding on.  Her secret…..ironing and stitching in the ditch consistently.  Who knew. Thanks ladies for the learning moments  J
Show & Tell
 Taken by Linda Andert -
 Thank you Linda, for taking notes for me while I was away.  By the looks of the notes, I missed some good demonstrations…………….I’m just adding next month’s activities to the bottom.
November’s meeting will be at 6:30 on the 9th at St. Luke’s Church in New Richmond. 
The program is Holiday Traditions and Decorations.  The hostesses are Hope Dietrich and Barb Rogers. 

Reminder the challenge project is due at the November meeting.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

September Meeting Notes

The meeting was held at St. Luke’s Church on September 14, 2017.

Old Business – The changes in the By-Laws were handed out for review. Please read them as
the changes will need to be voted on first thing at the October meeting, as the October meeting
is our annual meeting. Highlighting some of the changes – elect officers yearly – a new position
to nominated Preside Elect which becomes the President the next year – Be thinking about
volunteering to be an officer. Bridget stated she would be willing to serve another year as
treasurer. I, JoDee, have agreed to serve a 2nd year as the secretary as well if you want that. I
had agreed to this position for a 2-year term, so I would be happy to complete that.

Committee Reports

Raffle quilt – 2018 raffle quilt is almost complete – 2 borders to go and then it will go to Jean
Potter for machine quilting

Caring Quilts – Betty contacted Farm and Home about some left over 5-inch squares for caring
quilts. Farm and Home donated a large amount of 5-inch purple blocks already cut that will be
used for caring quilts. These will be sewed together at the Stanton Town Hall on Sept 29 and
30th. Please bring your sewing machines.

Farm Girl Vintage projects – blocks were shared from the 2 groups – drawings were drawn –
JoDee won from Pam’s group – Patsy won from Mary and Bridget’s group – feel free to join in
one of the groups, there is still time

Quilt show – Patsy has agreed to chair the committee – other members that volunteered to
help with quilt show committee was Betty S, Barb Rogers, and Linda Andert. Feel free to join
this committee as more volunteers make the work a lot easier.
A theme for the quilt show was discussed. JoDee moved to let the Quilt Show Committee
decide on the theme, this was seconded by Cindy Peer.

A favorite summer memory was shared with the group. Patsy also asked for prayers for her
sister Sandy who has been very ill.

A great demo was given by both Alicia and Chasity Cypher on different rulers. Thank you for
sharing with the guild.

Patsy wants to know if anyone knows who has quilt show notebook and information. She
would like to get this information. I know Sandy has some information about the raffle ticket
permit and the vendors. I was able to locate a flash drive in the secretary books as well;
however it doesn’t not contain anything about the quilt show. The flash drive contains meeting
minutes and membership lists from years past

We have gained 3 new members at the September meeting. Welcome back Laurie Croone,
Alicia Cypher, and Chasity Cypher.

Next month’s meeting will be Oct 12, 2017 at 6:30 pm.
It will be elections of officers.

Hostesses will be Betty Schmit and Jean Krumm

Discussion Topic – Year End Evaluation

Program – Techniques for Finishing Your Quilts – Jean K., Jean P, and Meg Tryba will
demonstrating different techniques

Show and Tell – Bring projects that demonstrate interesting finishing techniques and be
prepared to explain your choices

I will not be able to attend the October meeting as I will be out of town on a quilting retreat.
Would someone please take notes for me while I’m away? Thank you.

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

August Meeting Notes

The meeting was called to order by President Eileen Van Dyk.  The secretary’s report was given.  The Treasurer’s report was given with a couple of updates.  The speaker cost for last month’s event was $300.00 and $11.70 paid to Betty Schmit for caring quilt supplies.  Balance was $5,584.83.  This was approved by Cindy Peer and seconded by Mary Lou.
Committee Reports
Raffle Quilt – Patsy showed us 2 blocks from the quilt – Gather Around is the pattern name
Caring Quilts – Betty has 25-30 quilts at her house – Betty to check on batting for quilts with Alicia and Jean Potter also will let us know what she can get for us at cost/deal – the intention is to have a sew day to tie quilts soon – suggested Friday and Sat Sept 29 & 30 as that is our usual weekend of the quilt show and since we don’t have a show this year……….Betty had 2 quilts ready for binding – please check out with Betty so she knows where they are
Quilt show – Dates are the last full weekend of Sept – Sept 29-18 and Sept 30-18 – Be thinking of this committee – 4-5 people are suggested and everyone take a portion to be responsible for – please volunteer if you can – We hope to have a committee together by the Nov or Dec meeting for sure – Patsy has volunteered to Chair the quilt show committee – please join the committee if you have any interest and Patsy will be able to mentor to the process as she has been on this committee multiples times.  Sandy said that the permit for the show is due Jan 12, 2018 – raffle tickets to be ordered in April – can sell in the month of May – Sandy has the vendor letters and they should go out by Feb 1st.  - Erica put lots of information on a flash drive, need to locate – the WITC needs to be booked very soon, Fri afternoon through Sunday, doesn’t need to be paid for until the actual show time – Ideas for a Theme for the Quilts show were suggested – see the list below and we will vote on it at next month’s meeting
A Journey Back in Time
Reflections of Vintage and More
Fabulous Vintage and More
Vintage Soul
Barn Trails, Vintage and Good Times
Shabby Chic, Vintage and More
Vintage Reflections
Farm and Vintage Memories
Gathering and Connections through our Vintage
Vintage Farm Memories
Farm Vintage block project – Mary and Bridget’s group has Betty S, Sue Powers, Mary G, and still open for others to join in – Pam’s group – the following people had their 4 blocks done for the meeting Patsy, Judy B, and JoDee. – (Pam was not able to attend so here are the names for you)
Old Business - None
New Business The by-laws were discussed by the guild and voted on for changes.  Eileen will type up the changes and present it at another meeting.  Thank you all that participated in this process.
A prize was won by Jean Krumm by picking a number at the meeting.  She won a pattern by the speaker we had at the July meeting. 
Patsy moved to adjourn the meeting and Mary G 2nd it. 
Upcoming meeting – Hostesses will be Rhonda Rimarcik and Mary Lou Curtis – please note we need plastic forks for in the tote – I have reached to Alicia and Chaz for the program – they are scheduled to demo The Magic of Rulers – this has not been confirmed at the time of the typing of these notes, but Alicia has asked me about it – Show and Tell is a Swap Meet – Bring books, patterns, fabric and quilt supplies you want to swap – Discussion topic will be your favorite summer memory

The meeting will be Sept 14th, 2017 at 6:30 pm at St Luke’s Church - Please note that I will not be able to attend, please someone take notes for me while I am gone.  Thank you. 

Wednesday, August 2, 2017

July Meeting Notes & Paint Chip Challenge info

We had a very short meeting this month as the main focus was the speaker and trunk show given by Erika Plank.  She presented a great show with lots of patterns to purchase.  If you missed the meeting here is her website.
Reminder:  The Paint Chip Challenge is due at the November meeting.  See attached document.
Farm Girl Vintage – many people turned in their 4 blocks – Linda Andert was the prize winner this month with the Farm Girl 48 - the Farm Girl project with smaller amounts of blocks requires you to build your won quilt plan, put on paper and turn into either Mary G. or Bridget L.
We had guest introduced this evening - Sheila Baillargeon
Eileen asked us to be thinking about a theme of the quilt show for discussion next month – please bring your ideas to the next meeting – possibly a theme connected to the Farm Girl Vintage project since we will have lots of those Farm Girl quilt blocks by then (just a thought) – be thinking……….
Next month’s meeting will be August 10, 2017
We will not be having a sew night like the program states but we will be having a business meeting to discuss the by-laws and come up with a theme for the quilt show.
Discussion topic: “How do you find time to quilt?”
Show and Tell: Show off your fair entries

Hostesses for August: Jean Potter and Sandy Balcerek
JoDee Johnston
WRPM Secretary

Paint Chip Challenge 2017

“Make a Grand Entrance”

Here are the quilt item challenge rules:
·      Using the three initials of your name, pick out paint chips whose color name begins with one of each of yours letters. For an example, if you are Bonnie Mary Crawley, you could use Blackberry Mountain Stream, Marigold and Copen Blue for your paint chips.
·      You can use additional colors, although at least 75% of the quilt item must be in the three paint chip colors you select.
·      Your quilted item front should have a functioning door, can be any type/style door.
·      Create a surprise, applying theme from quilt item front to be viewed when the door is open using one of your paint chip colors.
·      The door should remain closed when the quilt item is hanging or up right.
·      Your initials must be included somewhere on the quilt item front.
·      The perimeter size is not to exceed a total of 80 inches and should be at least 60 inches.
·      The quilt item project must be completely finished.
·      Your three paint chips that represent your initials must accompany your entry.
·      The quilt items are due at the quilt guild meeting on November 9.